Thursday, August 9, 2007

Managing Talent

This article had a lot of good information about how managers should be accountable for their employees and managing talent. As I was reading, it made me think about how I manage my staff, if I am managing effectively while engaging and developing my staff. The document was interesting because it discussed how managers should increase their employees responsibilities and look for new opportunities for them, as well. I feel that I am good in these areas because I am always keeping my staff up-to-date on how close we are in achieving our goals, how they are doing with meeting their expectations, and by having one-on-ones with them once a month. An example in the document stated that many managers meet with their employees once a year, during the performance review, and forget about them afterwards. That is not effective and is not what management is about. I think people get caught up in their own daily routines and forget about everything else that they should be doing.

Reference:

Beyond Talent Management: Managers as Talent Leaders. Retrieved August 9, 2007, from Paradigm Learning Website

No comments: